Hydrogen Sulfide is a natural substance that can give your water the awful “rotten egg” smell. Although not harmful to you, it can make the water very unappealing to drink and bathe in.
Hydrogen sulfide is formed by sulfur bacteria that may occur naturally in water. These bacteria use the sulfur in decaying plants, rocks, or soil as their food or energy source and as a by-product produce hydrogen sulfide.
The Effects Of Hydrogen Sulfide In Your Water
There is never any doubt as to when it is present due to its offensive “rotten egg” odor. This characteristic odor is sometimes apparent in concentrations below 1 mg/l. Hydrogen sulfide promotes corrosion due to its activity as a weak acid. Its presence in the air causes silver to tarnish in a matter of seconds.
High concentrations of hydrogen sulfide gas are both flammable and poisonous. While such concentrations are rare, their presence in drinking water has been known to cause nausea, illness, and in extreme cases, death. High concentrations of dissolved hydrogen sulfide can also foul the bed of an ion exchange softener. Its continued presence will lead to lower and lower capacity and may finally necessitate replacement of the resin bed. Generally, hydrogen sulfide occurs in concentrations of less than 10 ppm (milligrams per liter). Occasionally the amount goes as high as 50 to 75 mg/l. Hydrogen sulfide is more common to well waters than to surface waters supplies.
Hydrogen Sulfide Removal Recommendations
A Reverse Osmosis system or carbon filter will remove Hydrogen Sulfide from your water. Anything from aeration to peroxide injection systems are commonly used for this and can deliver odorless and great tasting water continuously in your home, office, or work place.